Stephen Grant, 67A St James's Street, London
12 bore Back Action Hammergun
No. 4247, No 2 of pair

Date of manufacture: 1877


Click on these images for more detail.

Heritage Guns' Comment

This is a superb example of a sidelever hammergun from this highly respected gunmaker, a style and design that became synonymous with Stephen Grant. Built as no 2 of a pair for a ‘J Virtue Esq’, it is in really lovely condition with only slight loss of definition in the engraving under the bar.
The bolting is of Edwin Hodges’ design, patented in 1871, and provides three bites for the Purdey-like bolt to engage with: one in the rear lump and a further projection on either side forming the other two. It is thought to be simply an attempt to evade the Purdey Bolt patent but it does provide a very firm and safe lock-up.
The gun came to us with painfully thin walled barrels and we did not hesitate to commission TIG welded sleeving using carefully selected tubes to give a thicker MWT than has been usual. The hope is that these barrels may future-proof the gun somewhat with the proposed demise of lead ammunition. The 30" barrels have been proofed for 2 ” nitro cartridges and this all adds up to a strong gun that is a joy to shoot and should give many years of service on game or clays with normal maintenance.
Presented in a contemporary leather and brass, oak lined case with some accessories.


Fantastic value at only $10395

On Consignment in USA with MacNab Fine Firearms

The action is of traditional back action sidelock design and features:
Finely chiselled percussion fences;
High level ‘Hare’s Ears’ hammers;
Best Foliate Scroll engraving;
Sidelever operating a 3 bite bolt;
Double triggers;

Stanton rebounding b
ack action locks;
Anson pushrod forend catch.      
Gun weight
7lb 4oz
Engraving style Best foliate scroll. No. ‘2’ is engraved on forend iron, trigger guard and top rib.
Action bar engraved ‘STEPHEN GRANT’S PATENT’. Top tang engraved ‘PATENT’.
Action flats stamped ‘GRANT & HODGES PATENT’ and the use number 714.
Breech face stamped with E C Hodges’ trade mark.
Trigger pulls measure approximately: Front trigger 3 lbs Rear trigger 4 lbs
The TIG sleeved damascus to steel barrels are 30" in length, chambered for 2 3/4" (70mm) cartridges and are of brazed dovetail construction with soft soldered ribs.
Top rib is of the smooth, concave game type.
Birmingham reproof for 70mm nitro powder cartridges in 2020.

Approximate barrel measurements at date of publication:

 
Nominal Proof Size
Bore Diameter 9" from Breech
Minimum Wall Thickness
Choke Constriction
Right Barrel
18.5mm (0.728")
0.730"
0.040"
0.012" (IC)
Left Barrel
18.5mm (0.728")
0.730"
0.039"
0.021" (Mod)

Straight Hand Stock and Splinter Forend are crafted from highly figured walnut. The stock is lightly cast off for a right-handed shot and features a vacant white metal oval, a 5/8” well matched wood extension and engraved iron heel & toe plates secured with engraved screws.
The forend has a finely engraved steel tip and one small inlet repair to its edge.

Highly Figured Stock

The approximately 22 lines per inch chequering is freshened to normal backaction sidelock pattern.
The stock is finished with a traditional linseed oil based preparation as used on best guns by one of the top English makers. This finish uses no grain fillers to achieve its deep, smooth lustre, only many hours of alternate build and flatting off of the surface.

Approximate stock measurements at date of publication:

Pull to Heel
Pull to Bump
Pull to Centre
Pull to Toe
14 1/2"
14 3/4"
14 11/16"
15 1/8"
Drop at Comb
Drop at Face
Drop at Heel
1 5/8"
1 3/4"
2 1/4"
Cast at Comb
Cast at Heel
Negligible
1/16" approx.

For the purposes of these measurements, 'Drop at Face' is the 'drop' measurement taken on a line perpendicular to the
line joining the trigger and centre of the butt at approximately 8" from the trigger (front trigger on a double trigger gun).

Patents Exhibited include:
Stanton's rebounding lock patent no. 367 of 1867,
Hodges’ bolting patent no. 251 of 1871,
Anson's forend fastener patent no. 3791 of 1872.